Thursday 7 August 2008

Diary of a tall girl




I wonder what it would be like to be an average height? How would people describe me? “Sam is the brunette”” instead of “Sam is the tall girl”.

Let me introduce myself. I’m Sam, I’m 33, I love watching old movies, long soaks in the bath and treating myself to a Caramel Frappacino every Sunday afternoon with my best friend Suze.

I work at Long Tall Sally, I’ve been working at LTS for almost two years, everyone’s great not to mention the discounts! It’s like a little community- a safe haven for other tall women. In fact I quite often find myself feeling a tad bit jealous if a customer comes into the store and is slightly taller than me. I feel as I am being outdone because I’m no longer the tallest in the room- Stupid I know but I’ve learn't to love the advantages of my extra inches.

I’m not overly tall at 5”10 but it’s still enough to draw the irritating gasps of “What’s the weather like up there” and “I bet she plays basketball”. I don’t ask short people if they play miniature golf!

But now as I’ve grown in years as well as height I have discovered there are many advantages of being tall. For instance; you cover distances faster when walking, You’re height can give you better views at the theatre and when standing in a crowded train as the tall one you get to breathe fresh air rather than inhaling someone’s hair!

What I am getting at is that there are hundreds even thousands of tall women out there who face the same dilemma’s, so let this be a place you can come and share your thoughts. Not all women have the gift of being tall. Many people would love to be taller. Surely it’s better to be looked over than overlooked?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant - you have just the right attitude. I am tall and can really relate to all the advantages you mention and am proud too!

Emma said...

I agree- This is a great blog! Im looking forward to reading more about Sam's antics! You write well!

I am 5'11 and have learnt to love my height like Sam! x

Caryn said...

Loving the blog

LTS rocks! Your Autumn Winter range is gorge!x

Anonymous said...

hi,
I love the idea of the blog..
now I can complain about the disappearance of the LTS shop in Belfast and the 'free delivery to UK mainland only'. Why?

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I'm tall too (6"2), so I can totally identify with your post. Look forward to the next post!

Lisa, Carol and Sam said...

Hi guys

Thanks for all your comments!

Re: Disappearance of the Belfast store.

It’s a shame we had to close the Belfast store, I spoke to the head office team today and they verified that the store closed due to redevelopment in the area.

I also checked with the mail order team regarding free P&P and they have confirmed that Belfast is included in Standard UK Mainland postage, therefore the free P&P offer that you received should work. If you enter your promotion code at the basket you should be able to redeem your offer.

I hope this helps you!

If you need any more info please feel free to contact the customer service team on : queries@longtallsally.co.uk

They are always happy to help!

All the best.

Sam

m4dswine said...

I'm 5'10" too and have learnt to love my height... not easy when all my friends are around the 5'4" mark!! I love my heels as well (I have big feet too) but its only since I met my bf that I truly have learnt to love my height... he's 6'3"!!

Love the idea of a blog! I just wish (no offence) that LTS wasn't the only place on the high street to buy clothes that fit properly!

Anonymous said...

Hello I'm a tall lady too (5'11") and very glad to have checked out your blog. What I want to know is where can I get those lovely shoes that are pictured just before your story?

Kristalea

Lisa, Carol and Sam said...

Hi Kristalea

Thanks for your message!

The shoes in the photograph above my post are the Ella ankle shoe from the new LTS collection.

They are my favourites too!

Sam

PS: They are also available in brown!